Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Hummingbird paid me a visit


The best moments are the least expected.  And these can just as easily pass us by unnoticed because we refuse to acknowledge that there are gifts that can uplift the spirit if we always keep an open eye, and a wandering lust for beauty.

Tonight as I was opening the gate to our house after a 5-hour bike ride, my eye caught a blur.  It was whirring so fast that in the fading light of dusk it seemed like a fuzzy shadow moving about the little orange flowers from one of the varieties of plants that teem in our garden.

I first dismissed it as a wasp.  But no wasp stays out so late.  And besides no wasp likes that flower (same variety as that of the photo), not even my bees go near those little, beautiful but nasty-smelling flowers.

I leaned forward and squinted so I could focus on this fleet-winged creature – it was a hummingbird, a tiny beautiful creature that is no bigger than a wasp.  It had a tiny beak that slips into the tiny holes of the tiny flowers to sip a tiny amount of nectar.  And its wings buzzed so rapidly that I could see nothing but a translucent sliver of vibrating light.

I was mesmerized.  It was the first time that I saw a real hummingbird and it was such a delightful experience, something that I thanked the Lord for for giving me an opportunity to behold such a magical performance.

Today is the 9th death anniversary of my Tatay.  I visited his grave on my bike.  I told him I miss him so much.  I’d like to think he paid me a visit, on his little wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment