Monday, January 16, 2012

Confessions of an ex-professor


In the unique hierarchy of the academe, I cannot be called a professor.  In fact, I barely qualify as a Lecturer -- the lowest rung in the ladder.  But I decided to use it in this article's title because, just like in the academe, it has a nice ring to it.


I was still given the opportunity to teach in college despite of my academic credential's lack of a masteral degree.  Like every passionate teacher, the five years that I spent as a part-time teacher gave me some of the most frustrating moments, but also some of the most fulfilling highs of my life.

I was able to handle a merry mix of subjects that ranged from Advertising and Public Relations, to all sorts of English and English related subjects, to Writing, to Arts Appreciation, to Entrepreneurship and Marketing, to Literature, and in my last year -- Filipino, three different courses of it.  Of all, three remained dearest to me: Advertising, Public Relations, and World Literature.

Teaching Advertising and Public Relations gave me the chance to share my extensive industry experience to young students who aspire to be part of the world that I was once, and now only vaguely part of.  Introducing this often exciting, sometimes intriguing, and always cutthroat profession to wide-eyed dreamers, and showing them how they can be part of it given the limited preparation that they have in school, gave me a sense that I was playing an important part in the shaping of still malleable lives -- a grave responsibility that I took seriously, and a humbling realization that I relished dearly.

I was not easy to please when I was teaching these subjects, and my students can attest to this.  In fact, whenever I gave my students projects that would require them to apply book theories into simulated real-life applications, I never, not even once, approved a concept or a proposal at the first instance. Everyone had to present a new set of concepts till I was slightly satisfied, by that I mean that the proposal has caught a slim chance of being considered, let alone approved, if my students were part of an Ad agency or a PR firm submitting real life industry-grade proposals to an exacting client.  And it was not unusual that I  would still be unhappy even with the last and final concept that a student or a group will present.

A consistent dean's lister who got this same treatment commented, perhaps in half jest and the other half in frustration, "Aba'y wala na yatang magaling kay sir, eh!"  Well, true and false.

While I did not have high expectations as far as the quality of the materials that the students can produce (They are still, after all, students), I did not see it as a reason for me to lower my standard because I believed that I was preparing them for a future where people are tough, sometimes mean, and often competitive.  It would be a dishonor to my students if, after having seen and experienced what it was like in the real world, that I would give them the false idea that what they were producing were good enough where it mattered most -- in real life jobs.

Stringent as I was with my standard, I had to make sure that I did not destroy my students' confidence.  So while I thumbed down proposal after proposal, I also gave them glimpses of how they can improve their concepts or pursue angles that they may not have considered.  And when they react, "Ahhh, oo nga ano. Ang galing talaga ni Sir!"  I smile with supreme satisfaction not because I was praised, but because I know I opened a new door of possibilities.

But the highest form of satisfaction comes not inside the classroom but outside of it, long after the students have become my students.  When I would find out that my former wards have landed prime jobs and are in fact doing well, or encounter those who would report, "Sir, kung ano po yung ginagawa natin sa klase, iyon din po ang ginagawa namin sa trabaho."  I know that I prepared them well.

I once bumped into the student who complained about my toughness in class.  She has landed an enviable job in a prestigious company.  However, she said that working for her boss was rough, as if she was always not good enough.  I felt sorry for her.  But knowing how diligent and driven she was, I know she was going to be fine.  I just wish that her encounter with reality was not as harsh.  As I always reminded my students, never think that you are good enough, but have a mindset that you can still be better; the former reeking of brittle confidence, the latter underlining one's hunger for more knowledge that fills the gaps that would make one more capable.

While teaching Advertising and Public Relations  allowed me to prepare the way for successful careers, teaching Literature entitled me to unlock minds and open eyes to deeper appreciation of life and the written word's power over it and with it.

Again, I am not academically prepared to be a literature teacher.   I cannot quote memorable words from the demigods of  prose nor drop a line or two from Frost, even if my life depended on it.  What I had were questions; questions that made my students ponder and uncomfortable in their seats. I asked questions that challenged what they think, and even believe in.

I was the ultimate Devil's Advocate.  I would grill a student no end regardless if I completely agree with his point or not.  I did so because I wanted my students to think critically, to analyze and defend their point, to make them see that each issue can be viewed from several angles, and most importantly, I wanted them to grow as human beings whose views, thoughts and ideas are important, and thus need to be voiced out, and instigators of change in their lives and those of people that would cross their path.

I loved to open  a lesson with a question that left a quizzed look on my students' faces.  The more puzzled or disturbed they are, the more exciting the ensuing discussion would become.  And the more ideas and thoughts that flowed and are exchanged, the clearer and more pleasant my students' faces would eventually become.  When I see a student's face light up in that elusive eureka moment, or nod, or smile in a sign of agreement -- my heart leaps in utter bliss.  It is what I lived for as a teacher.  And in my years as one, I've had plenty of those moments -- enough to last me a lifetime.

Students are funny when they are disturbed by an idea, or deep in thought.  Some look away, lost in their own world, some fidget or unconsciously make little but repetitious movements like twirling strands of hair or excavating dirt from fingernails.  And as the only person inside the classroom facing everyone -- I could observe who would like to share what they were thinking -- those few who may not raise their hand but won't break eye contact either.

One of these was Anne Latayan Lado-ing.

What struck me first about Anne was that she was unusually tall.  But when seated like the rest of the class, her attentive gaze and full concentration assured a teacher like me, that there would always be a student to call on to, to share what's on her mind.  And she did speak her mind.  In fact, she was one of the students that I enjoyed peppering questions because she never backed out of any argument or discussion.  She is the kind of student that makes teaching such a joy and challenge.

A former student who never failed to greet me on Teacher's Day told me that a student will always remember a good teacher.  And I told him that a good teacher never forgets a good student.  I remember him.  I remember Anne.  I remember a lot of students.  And  I thank everyone of you for allowing me to be, even for a semester or two, a part of your life.

Like I always say, I'll see you when I see you.


I would love to hear what you think of this article.  Please leave a comment or tick a reaction.  Thanks!

24 comments:

  1. my ever poker face ninong :) the first time our class met you, you know what? a classmate whispered to me(di ko na sasabihin) :) " gusto mo syang prof?"..and i hastily said "oo, gusto ko siya, a teacher like him, not the bookish type eh, yun ang gusto ko", that classmate nodded and said, "parang hindi ko siya masyadong vibes eh". but then. mula nung araw na yun. walang nabago sa 1st impression ko :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aira, I'm touched that you would leave a comment. Don't worry, your friend who did not like me at first already confessed about her initial take on me,and I know she is now one of my biggest fans, and a dear friend just like you are. While we are in a post about confessions, I would have to confess that I wasn't completely satisfied with my performance as a teacher of Creative Writing in your class. Your class of about 30 people was too large for a more personal tutoring which I would have preferred so I can monitor and guide you individually. And you know me, I teach with my heart and not with books so I never really knew how to teach creativity, I could only try to inspire it from my students. So thank you to you and to those I was able to inspire. And my apologies to those who thought I could show them the steps to being creative, which I did not. It's something that I regret until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. flashback! i remember our advertising and PR class. haha.. i learned so much from it sir specially now I'm working in a media company. when i had my training, you we're the first person i remember po.. it felt like i'm just in your class.. ang galing! i can apply almost all the lesson i learned from you.. I'm in sales dept.& marketing dept. but there are times i was the one writing scripts and having the video shoot for my clients.. di ko maiiwasan sabihin, "ahhh.. ganito yung tinuro ni sir eh" thank you so much sir.. you're one of the reasons why there are successful individuals who graduated from De La Salle Lipa. very lucky to be one of them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you said Gen was music to my ears. I'm just glad that I heeded the call when the itch to teach came to me. I couldn't ask for more as a teacher than a former student saying she is doing well. Galingan mo pa and continue learning. Obviously, I can't teach everything inside the classroom. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sir Marcial! Thanks for tagging me. =) Kahit hindi nyo pa ako itag, mababasa ko din to. Actually po reading your blog is one of my activities everytime I go online. =) Everytime I read your stories, parang kausap ko lang kayo. Yan na yan kayo eh =) hehe. For me, you're the craziest professor I ever had! Super kulit, pilosopo! Hindi pa kayo makausap ng matino! haha. Wag tatanggi! Tanda ko pa during recitation, before you give your questions, ook-rayin mo muna yung tinawag mo. Tatakutin nyo pa. hehe. I still have so many memorable moments with you. Thanks sir! You definitely changed my attitude of being bookish. Before I met you, akala ko basta saulo ko ang book kahit anong tanong ng prof kaya ko. di pala. Na-chachallenge pa tuloy ako na mag-isip out-of-the-box! hehe. I was able to apply all the things I've learned from you when I was an Assistant Store Manager. You're the most creative person that I met! And I proud to say that I was and I'm still the STUDENT of MARCIAL ENGINCO! =) Hope to see you soon. Nang makita mo sir ang gwapo kong baby! haha. =)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guilty Ms Kassandra! I like to be unpredictable, and I guess that's another reason why I am an effective teacher, yung bang tawa na ng tawa ang mga istudyante pero di nila namamalayan natututo na sila. But I really regret having handled your class for just a semester because I can see that you guys really loved to learn, and I could have shared a lot more. Oh well, PM me your contact number. Who knows I may drop by your place kapag naligaw ako nang pagba-bike pa-Balete. Good luck in whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are my favorite professor Sir Marcial! Ang mga naituro nyo ay hindi nanggagaling s kahit anung libro kundi s ilang taong experience nyo mula sa totoong buhay.. salamat at naibahagi nyo sa akin, sa amin iyon! :) at salamat muli, dahil sa pagsali natin pr congress ay nawala ang hiya kong mgasalita sa harap ng maraming tao. :) goodluck sa inyo bagong karera... sana makasalubong ko kayong muli at sana nakabike ndn ako pg ngyre un. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Prim. And yes, the PR Congress was also a proud moment for me because I saw you and the rest of your group transform from a bunch of scared students to willing competitors. After beating out other prestigious schools in the elimination round, that's all I could ask from you at that moment. I must admit, kaya kong magsalita sa harap ng klase, but to speak in front of so many people, and on a competition at that, is something that would scare the heck out of me as well. Good luck in everything you do Prim, and yes, hopefully we meet again, kahit di ka pa naka-bike, okay pa rin sa akin, sana hindi na lang sa tulay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say, I'm lucky enough that I've been given an opportunity to be your student sir. :) Isa sa napakaraming aral na napulot ko po senyo, eh yung pagpili ng ikakasaya natin. for example, 'pag-absent sa isang klase dahil may birthday, makikiramay, o kung ano man event..why? yung klase na inabsentan hindi mo na yun maaalala pagusad ng panahon, but ung memories, hindi mabubura...'

    i miss your teachings sir.. Godbless you po and more power. Thank you po sa maikling panahon na nagshare kayo ng mga insights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes po. you'll never know up to where your words of wisdom can go. til when, or how :) di niyo lang po alam. your students might be somewhere,then, for a moment, they'll remember what you said when you were inside the four corners of the room way back :P kaya ingat po 'pag nabibilaukan,marami nakakaalala :P I don't think you should regret anything. you didn't fail =) things I won't 4get: you told us that we could tell a story using a different point of view. (example niyo yung langaw,na what if langaw yun nagk-kwento) then naalala ko pa nung tnanong niyo kung bakit hindi naiiwan ang langaw sa paglipad niya khit nasa loob ng umaandar na sasakyan) di niyo na po ata un nasagot?:) teka, favorite niyo po ang langaw :P HAHA aba sa memory kong 500 MB .. important files lang po ang nas-save nito :) HAHAHAHA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks elijah, but I hope you weigh your options well when you need to sacrifice a class for an event or occasion and not justify your actions with a lesson that you learned from me. Kailangang importante at di na maililipat ng ibang panahon o okasyon ang alternatibo mo sa pag-attend ng klase. If you can do that, then go back to your class. If you can't, then you decide. Because sometimes there are lessons in class that also cannot be missed. Perhaps,I'll explain this point better if I get to write a story why I am miserable in Math. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aira, sa dami ng naalala mo sa akin baka maubos na ang 500MB na capacity ng memory mo. Salamat Aira. Also remember na tumatatak ka na rin sa alaala ng mga students mong inglesero. Make sure that someday when they remember you, they would do so with a smile on their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. isa sa pinaka malufet na teacher na nakilala ko. yung tipong maeexcite ka na pumasok at di umabsent tuwing klase nya. at enjoy at challenge ka na tipong di mo na mamalayan ang oras tapos na pala. haha. syang at saglit lang kami nagkateacher na laging nakikipagtalo samin to challenge us. yet salamat at we have a whole lifetime na may tropa at mentor na katulad mo sir.haha.hope on the days to come. makasalubong ko ulit kayo ng makapagbabagan ko ulit tayo.haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salamat Alfred, sayang nga at 1 semester lang ako nakapagturo sa inyo. I hope nasulit ko naman iyon. I hope you find success in whatever you do. And who knows, one of these days we do bump into each other, masaya na ako sa doughnut,kape at kwento mo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have always left an indelible mark on the minds of your students, straight to their very soul. It has been a fortune to be one of your protege; for you have equipped us with the necessary armour against what reality has to offer, before entering the corporate battlefield. YOu have the IDEAL teaching skills that I have been longing for to quench my thirst in learning.

    I take this opportunity to extend my deepest gratitude to you, my teacher, my friend and my mentor in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I am just honored that people like you look up to me. I know you'd also like to be a teacher someday, I hope you pass it forward. It's a humbling realization that you, as a single person, can have impact on the lives of so many others.

      Delete
  16. Hi Sir! Miss ko na kayo ^_* Lagi ko kayong naaalala sa work ko. Swear! Everytime may tinatapos akong layout, iniisip ko... "hmmmp ano kaya pupunahin ni sir Marcial pag pinakita ko 'to sa kanya?" Kaya andami kong edit Sir! Paulit-ulit,hehe ^_* So far, Ok po naman palagi sa mga big boss ko. Kaya lang pag pinakita ko sa inyo, delikado. Hehe. I'm lucky to be one of your students. How I wish sana mas matagal ko pa kayong naging teacher. God Bless Sir! Hope to see you soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dane. I'm just too happy that you are able to put to good use what you have learned in my class. Yes, I wish that I handled your class not for just a semester because I felt that you guys were so eager to learn. But it is what it is. There's still a lot to learn, most of it you will encounter in your work. So keep doing your job well, and always be better.

      Delete
  17. napakahusay ng pagkalala ng isang dating guro sa kanyang memorya ng pagtuturo at paano nito binago ang kaisipan ng kanyang mga mag-aaral, dedikasyon ang pangunahing sangkap sa pagtuturo at ang paghahandog ng buong pagkatao, ibig sabihin si sir marcial ay isang ganap na mahusay na guro na hindi nakatali sa istrakturang kredensyal na siyang ginagamit na pamatayan sa pagtuturo dahil sa huli ang ganitong sistema ay komodipikasyon ng edukasyon. Mabuhay ka curious biker!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maraming salamat sa iyong pahimakas sa butihin mong dating panandaliang guro. May mga bagay tayong di kayang baguhin, ngunit ang mahalaga ay kung ano ang maari nating maiambag habang tayo ay may pagkakataon. Wala naman akong ilusyon na magtatagal sa pagtuturo dahil sa kakulangan ko ng papel na kredensiyal, ang nais ko lang naman ay mag-ambag nang aking nalalaman at sana ito ay aking nagampanan ng buong puso at husay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sir,

    I vividly remember how you criticize my copy for liquor advertisement =). It helped me a lot to draw creativity and execute it in simple and direct manner without the neglecting the English grammar!
    Hmm.. I also remember the deadline of story board! Now, that I worked with Agencies.. I am now demanding them the story board with specific deadline also =) ..

    I can say that since I learned from you, I can confidently state my ideas in our advertisements ( how to execute, elements, colors and attitude of the ads) and of course collaborate my copy ad to the agencies and to my team =)

    Thank you!
    See you around Sir!

    Eddnell "nell" Villena
    M4A

    ReplyDelete
  20. Am very happy for you Eddnell that you are finding application in what you learned in class, and you even have an ad agency working for you to challenge every now and then. Cool! Good luck Eddnell. You'll go a longs way more but always remember to keep your feet on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sa totoo lang po, natakot ako ng una ko kayong nakita sa klase. Naalala ko po kasi ung kapatid nyo kung saan ako po ay napatayo at sabihin na nating napahiya ng bongga (haha!). Naisip ko na lang po na iba naman kayo. Hanggang sa nakawilihan ko na pong pasukan ang inyong klase dahil sa mga iba't ibang paksa na inyong tinatalakay na hindi lang po nakikita sa libro at tunay talagang nakakapukaw ng atensyon. Para po sa akin, iyon talaga ang 'mundo' na hindi nakikita o nararanasan sa apat na sulok ng silid nuong mga panahong iyon. Kailangang kong makinig at maging handa sa lahat ng pagkakataon. Kahit hindi ko po alam, kailangang subukan pa rin. Ganun naman po diba dapat..


    Salamat po sa pagbahagi ng inyong buhay sa aming mga naging estudyante nyo. Marami po akong natutunan. Isa po kayo sa tatlong guro na hindi ko makakalimutan. Maraming salamat po. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maraming salamat Anna! Isang malaking karangalan ang tumatak ang aking pagbabahgi sa iyo at sampu ng lahat ng mga dati kong istudyante na nakakaalala sa akin at sa aking katungkulan bilang isang guro.

    ReplyDelete