Monday, January 23, 2012

Impeachment Trial, starring: Atty Karen Jimeno


From onlineknowledge.org

I never thought I would be writing something that expresses admiration for a woman other than my wife.  But here it is, and I don't feel like I am cheating.  First time I saw her was in the news, talking about how her client would be proven innocent of  all charges levied against him.  Needless to say, she immediately caught my attention.  She was ethereally pretty, smart and articulate -- a refreshing contrast to pretty showbiz B-rated lasses whose statements never run out of sobra, and super, like "Super ganda netong show namen, as in sobra.  Sobra namen pinaghirapan to kaya super mage-enjoy kayo dito."


I am talking about Attorney Karen Jimeno, of course, the spokesperson for Chief Justice Renato Corona's defense team in his impeachment trial at the Senate.

The live trial coverage is compelling TV for anyone with an interest in what's going on in our country.  From the looks of it, it's going to be on TV a lot longer than our nation needs.  So there are production values that I wish can be looked into.  The choice of main characters, mainly.  Unfortunately, trials are not acted out by actors whose primary assets are their looks or showbiz pedigree, but headlined by legal luminaries whose ticket to fame is their ability to interpret and defend the law whichever way it favors their client.

From globalbalita.com
Here lies the problem for me.  While I appreciate the brilliance of the legal minds in the show, on the defense more particularly, I however can't look too long on the rather dull, if not unappealing faces and posturings of  the litigants.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not too good looking myself; but local TV has spoiled me with eye candies with less than impressive talent that I'm craving for the usual telegenic faces to go with the already compelling plot.  I'm looking for a compromise between intelligent discourse and visual appeal.  Something that Atty Jimeno provides by the truckload.

Too bad that she does not get to tussle with the prosecutors on the court itself.  She could have given some Senator Judges like Bong Revilla and Lito Lapid (Click for a pseudo train of thought of Senator Judge Lapid), more specially, something that they could understand -- beauty.  And when she speaks in her effortless but authoritative manner? Wow, why can't all lawyers be like her?  I mean, the prosecution members, because of their sloppy looks and laughable articulation, are already at a disadvantage in as far as making a good impression is concerned.  And I have not even mentioned that Justice Cuevas is making them look like bungling amateurs.

Images from onlineknowledge.org, Adel Tamano ANC FB Fanpage, newsinfo.inquirer.net

Imagine if both sides of  the litigation court are lined by brilliant, good looking and articulate lawyers like Atty Jimeno and Congressman Prosecutor Miro Quimbo (my wife voted for him when she was a freshman at the State U and he was running for Student Council), we can have a show that is both nourishing for the mind and refreshing to the eyes.  Definitely, must see TV.   I am sure that if the trial drags on for months, the two would have showbiz offers on their table when everything is said and done.

But I know that can never happen.  So I have to endure watching lawyers with foreheads reflecting light harshly, or making annoying gestures with their hands and jerky head movements, while dropping bombs like apter, bepor, Chip Jastis Roberto Corona, and deed of absolot-le sale.  Grrrr!


I'd love to hear your comment or reaction on this article. Thanks!  The Curious Biker

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! She's a total package. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing my view Vhie. Atty Jimeno is indeed quite a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tuned in to the news and there she was... I wonder if she's still single.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joey,thanks for the comment. According to my sleuthing she's already married to a foreigner. But there is no law that bars us from admiring her. So let's just do so from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, she has it both,beauty and brains. We could have considered her a total because if not only because of her tangled convictions. I remember her as one of the lawyers who led and signed the petition believing that Corona's appointment was illegal and unconstitutional. But look what happens now. Immediate change of ideals and conviction..

    ReplyDelete