Sunday, September 23, 2012

Of a giftless birthday and cheap happiness

Yesterday, September 22, was my birthday.  Except for a late lunch date with my wife followed by a quick stop at the grocery, I did not spend any money on this day.  I did not buy anything for myself.  And my wife also did not get me anything.  It was just like any ordinary day.

But I felt like a million because people who care for me did not get me gifts that were paid for in currency.  Rather they spent time and effort for me on my birthday.  That’s the best gift I can receive because it meant that they value me.  They did not leave me with a souvenir that would get bundled with other material things, instead they left me with moments that I can lift anytime from my memory bank should I need a quick pick-me-upper.

That’s priceless.

I appreciate the satisfaction of having the capacity to spend, and I strive hard to achieve that capacity every day.  But I thank God that I grew up not finding happiness in money and what it can buy.  My family’s lack of it as I was growing up had a lot to do with this attitude because I was forced to find alternative sources of happiness.  I found it in my imagination, in the drawings that I scrawled everywhere, in the times I spent freely on my own wandering without regard for time and hunger, in the kids and older people I spent time with, and in little things that God made such as spiders and mushrooms.

But not every day can be my birthday.

It does not make a difference however.  Not a day passes without me getting or experiencing a priceless gift.  So inspite of the problems and challenges that come my way I can say that I am lucky to be happy every day.

Let me share a quick list of what makes me smile and grateful to be alive.  Most of it is free, and if there is any form of expenditure, it’s definitely cheap.

1.        Waking up in the morning.
2.       Sinking my teeth on a perfect sunny side up seasoned with rock salt – yolk golden and oozing, melting on the tongue. Sarap ng breakfast.
3.       Wearing a shirt neatly pressed by my wife who refuses to let me out of the house looking haggard.  This is one chore she does not pass on to househelp.
4.       The sweet smell emanating from my beehives as I inspect them one by one.
5.       A tablespoon of honey I harvested myself.
6.       A random bird that visits our garden; a hummingbird once, a red breasted quail next, and an assortment of colorful ones whose names I don’t even know.
7.       Edible mushrooms after a heavy rain.
8.       Fresh fruits rambutan, durian, suha, satsuma, kalamansi, fresh vegetables and herbs malunggay, kamote tops, sili leaves, papaya, basil, mint – all from the garden.  Still waiting for the mangosteen though.
9.       Fresh tuna sashimi I prepare from a cut I bought from the market. I usually buy one fourth kilo at about 75 pesos.  This would be good for 3 servings.  Sarap.
10.   A kid placing a candy wrapper in his or her pocket: There is hope for the environment.
11.   A driver stopping at an intersection and waving me to join the traffic: Not everyone is in a hurry.
12.   Finding red notifications on FB.
13.   Reading status posted by people I care for.  If the status is about success, milestones or positive events I am happy for them because they are getting what they desire.  If it’s about heartaches, issues and problems, I am happy for them because they are growing.
14.   My 77 year old mother screaming and cheering as she watches basketball on TV: She’s enjoying herself.
15.   Hearing my nanay humming a song I don’t know: She’s happy and contented.
16.   My dog Patch jumping up and down as he welcomes me home.
17.   The tippity-tap sound that Patch’s little feet make as he goes up or down the stairs.
18.   Patch joining me on the sofa as I watch TV.
19.   Waking up in the middle of a cold night to find Patch cozily wedged between me and my wife, under our blanket.
20.   My wedding ring.
21.   My wife’s smile.
22.   Her voice as she speaks.
23.   The touch of her skin on mine.
24.   Her hands clasped with mine as we walk, sit, or lay on the bed.
25.   Hearing my wife snore in the middle of the night; I know she’s having a fitful rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment