Friday, October 18, 2013

Classroom detour and biking soundtrack

After what seemed like forever, I finally booked 3 hours or so for myself and my bike.  In over a month, the only time I spent on my saddle was a few trips to town for some errands, which do not count as legit rides (Unless paying bills or buying small stuff from the hardware are considered adventures).

My Fuji had been a picture of neglect.  Nightly, I could almost hear it implore me “Ride me, please! I’m useless without you.”  With so many things to do and so many concerns to think about, I couldn’t do anything but deaden my heart and be strong.  I silently ignored it.  But from time to time, I can’t help but peek at its black body, its sheen already masked by the dirt it had attracted from its last adventure, and the thin veil of dust that has settled over it during the course of its stagnation.  In my mind, I reassure it:  Our time would come.

Finally, yesterday I found the courage to tell my wife, “Mahal, may gagawin ako bukas.”  And from the glint in my eyes, she knew what I meant.

I woke up with a to-do checklist so I could feel that I have done enough to deserve my date with my bike: prepare breakfast, go to the palengke, cook lunch, check on the bees.  After I have ticked off everything, I took out my Fuji and brushed the dirt and grime away with the help of Joy dishwashing liquid before hosing it down with water and drying it with chamois.  I let it sit awhile before giving all the moving parts a good dose of WD40.  We were ready.  I had already added 29 songs to my music list the night before so the soundtrack was simply waiting to be played as my ride unfolded.

I was off.  And the effect of clean and lubricated chain was apparent instantly as I pedaled with ease, or maybe I was just too giddy with excitement that my movement felt effortless.  Or maybe it was Ely Buendia’s almost lackadaisical singing style that mesmerized me into a flow.

I have planned my route – a 34 kilometer welcome-back-loop of uphills and downhills (what do you expect, it seems there’s no kilometer of road in Lipa that is flat and uneventful).  I was about to turn right to where the road leads to the mountains of Malarayat when Melissa Etheridge stopped yelling at me to come to her window to give way to a text message that says: Sir, nasa LaSalle ka ba?  Baka sakali lang naman.  Wala kasi si ____, kulang ng magpa-panel.

Shoot.  I haven’t been assigned to teach even a single unit the past 5 semesters, but every near-end of the semester, I already half-expect that my teacher/friends would call on me for panel duty, which I enjoy by the way because I get to ask and share at the same time.  But come on.  On my version of the selfie?

I pointed my bike to the opposite direction.  True Faith’s Medwin Marfil was crooning one of my most favorite OPM moving on songs:  Park is empty, beer’s already warm, shoppers have all gone home.  Duty calls.  And I’m not even a faculty member.

I had a vision of gliding downhill at a 35-42 kph clip when I reach the backroads of Santo Tomas with Blues Traveller asking me “Why you wanna give me the runaround?  Is it your sure fire way to speed things up, when all it does is slooo-ooo-oow me down.

And in this vision, General Public will be mocking me – Never you done that, yeeahh-ehhh-ohhhh – as I pedal like crazy as I try to use the momentum created by a very steep drop, where I frantically calculated in my head my freefall speed and the balance that I need to keep my front wheel from skidding into a pothole just before the concrete road gives way to a steel bridge over a densely vegetated stream below.  Every time I negotiate this part of Plaridel, it always comes with a Hail Mary, that I may carry enough momentum (after making it safely across the pothole and the steel bridge) to give me the needed pace to climb the cruel uphill aftermath, and that I would not be caught behind a struggling motor vehicle which would almost certainly force me to dismount because by then, I had lost momentum and I would be biking on wobbly wheels if I tried to stand on my pedals and power through the climb.  If the latter scenario happens, I would also utter a few choice inanities because the vehicle would also have spewed exhaust all over my face.

None of that happened.  Instead I found myself biking the ramps going to the third floor of the Noli building where my duty awaits.  Normally, I would leave my bike at the wall climbing facility that I operate.  But since I had no plans of dropping by, I did not bring the key to the gate.  I can’t leave my bike on the corridor, so I opened the door and entered the classroom together with my steed.  The students presenting were surprised.  It was their first time to see a mountain bike parked inside a classroom.


I always thought that I can go back to the classroom by earning my “credential” through graduate school.  I never realized that I could also do it while biking.  K.D. Lang sings Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment