Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Halo-halo fur sil, ice bonding and a photo tour of an old bike route



Pinoy entrepreneurs are known for coming up with attractive names to rein in customers.  This one did not only catch my attention, it also forced me to a full stop coming from a sprint, which rarely happens, like when a vehicle on the opposite lane decides that my bike is not incoming traffic and veers into my lane to overtake a slow moving one.

Another trait of the Pinoy entrepreneur is that he/she is quick to spot opportunities, madiskarte kumbaga.  And this Ale is madiskarte.  She actually made a waiting shed right in the corner where tricycles make a turn as her de facto store.  As they say in business: location, location, location is everything.



I’ve already motioned for one halo-halo even before I could park my bike, and it was on my hand even before I could settle down.  Apparently, Aleng Halo-halo had already filled cups with measured rekados.  All she needed to do was scoop pre-shaved ice from a styro-box into the cup, pour milk and hand it over to the customer.  But the thing with pre-shaved ice is that they would clump together, which would make it more difficult to break down and mix with the rest of the ingredients.

As I was jackhammering the ice with my plastic spoon, my eyes were on two men seated on a bench across the road.  The two seemed like celebrities for just about everyone – men, women and kids on foot, tricycle or four-wheeled vehicles -- either waved at them or honked their greetings.  I’m envious; not of their celebrity, but of their bench.  It has always been on my wish list to eat halo-halo like a neighborhood tambay watching the world go by.  So when the two men decided to hop on to their tricycle, I immediately stood up and eagerly parked my butt on the still warm bench.



I must say, the bench is nice, so is the almost road level view that allows for maximum eye contact with passersby on foot or machine.  But I was having a problem with the darn ice; minutes have past and I was still waging a war with crushed ice particles that have decided to stick to one another no matter what.  Mercifully, the afternoon heat got to them and melted whatever bond they had with each other.  I welcomed them into my mouth.  They were refreshingly cold, but I was not impressed with the halo-halo.  It contained chunks of kamote that were boiled but not with sugar, leaving it wanting in flavor.  It helped that it had sweet nata de coco and some melon strips, which just about saved the entire halo-halo from turning into a disappointment.



As I was eating halo-halo like a tambay, I noticed I was getting a lot of attention just like what the two men before me enjoyed.  A car passed by and I made eye contact with the driver which prompted him to honk his horn and nod his head, which I also did.  Before a tricycle made a right turn, a boy riding behind the driver waved his hand and smiled at me.  I also did the same.  Another tricycle driver going the other way, slowed down and offered me a ride.  I would have taken his offer had I wanted a joyride with a stranger but I was only halfway through my halo-halo and I was raised by my parents to finish everything before proceeding to doing something else.



So this is how the neighborhood tambay feels.  It’s good.  Perhaps, that’s why a lot of tambays don’t want to do anything else.  I can’t do that.


I paid 15 pesos for my halo-halo.  It was not good, but not bad either.  It could have been worse.  Thank God there was no fur in it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment