Sunday, May 1, 2016

Why I am voting for Grace Poe, and not for Binay, Miriam, Mar or Digong (Part 1)

I know many of you would be asking Bakit Poe?, or think that, knowing how I  usually frame my thoughts, that I would negate the headline and debunk it in the end.  But no.  It is as clear as stated. I’m voting for Grace Poe and I’ll tell you why, and also why not for any of the other candidates.

I am not emotionally invested in Poe the way some supporters of other candidates are so I can firmly say that this is a product of thinking much more than feeling.  In fact, I want to get this vote done and over with the soonest, so that Filipinos can go back to what is more important, which is trying to be better for themselves and the people around them, including those whom they don’t know, instead of bickering about who among the candidates will wipe out all the problems of this benighted nation.  None of them has that omnipotence.

Every presidential candidate not named Binay brings a core of advantages to the position (Binay is simply rotten to the core), as well as baggages that will hamper his/her effectivity once in office.  My choice ultimately boils down to which weakness will not be fatal to the country in the short and long-term, and whose strong points will move us forward, closer I hope to a progressive and more humane tomorrow.

The mudslinging is so harsh in this campaign season that it is difficult to surface for air without getting hit.  I am not going to throw dirt here, but I will discuss the dirt that has already surfaced for each candidate, including Poe,beginning with the candidate with the most dirt attributed to him -- Jejomar Binay.

JOJO BINAY

Binay represents everything that is wrong in Philippine politics.  He lies, cheats and steals. And that’s just for breakfast.  It becomes an eat-all-you-can if you factor in the voracious appetite of his family members turned “public servants.”  Jojo has made working in government such a lucrative deal for his family that future generations of Binays will live princely lives if their loot is not recovered soon. And given the short term memory of pinoy voters, it is not unlikely that part of this ill wealth will be used to win back power someday, complete with the tall tale that the Binay years were the golden age of public service (shades of Marcos here).

I don’t blame Jojo for going all out for the presidency because he knows that, whoever wins,  it is almost certain that he and his family will spend daily prayer meetings in jail.  So he is pinning his liberty on the hope that enough poor people will believe his tale of a better life once he becomes president.  Unfortunately for him, it seems that he is now closer to Bilibid than he is to Malacanang.


So I don’t need to explain why I am not voting for him, as I would for other candidates.





No comments:

Post a Comment