Tuesday, April 24, 2012

When the word of God met the head hunters of Macchu Picchu



I was anxious to go home so I caught the bus passing through Tanauan because it was the first to get out of the station.  But because it was not passing through the STAR Tollway, the trip was expectedly longer and slower.  It was a good thing that the Apocalypto kept the ride tolerable.  Otherwise, it was supposed to be a routine bus ride home.

That is until the word of God came.

Upon reaching Tanauan a young lady boarded the bus, and instead of finding a vacant seat she occupied the middle aisle and propped one side of her body on the upright of the seat on the third row.  I was on the fifth row.

She pulled out a bible and began praying for the safety of everyone on board.  Jaguar Paw, the movie’s lead character, has just escaped from a sure beheading and his Mayan captors were mighty pissed off, and I was wondering if the lady was also praying for Jaguar Paw’s safety.  I have watched this movie before but the blood and gore that come in plenty never cease to pique my interest.


She must have noticed that I tilted my head to the right so I can catch a better view of the movie, which she was already blocking because after reading a passage from the bible that said how lucky we were that the Lord has spoken, she began a rant that it seemed that we were more interested in entertainment than in listening to the word of God.

I didn’t know if I should feel guilty for cheering for Jaguar Paw after he escaped his pursuers by jumping over a raging waterfall, or feel offended because I am being accused of turning a deaf ear to a sermon that I did not ask for.

Then the lady turned her attention to the guy next to me who, aside from watching the movie, also had his earphones on.  The preacher said, “Ang ilan dyan mas pipiliin pang makinig ng musika kesa sa salita ng Diyos!”

When I noticed the guy’s brow move I knew he was multi-tasking – watching Jaguar Paw throw a swarm of venomous bees towards his predators, listening to his music, and getting irked by the verbal jab thrown at him.

Then the lady began recalling the many instances when she experienced people mouthing insults at her willingness to spread God’s gospel in exchange for a small sum for their sect’s missions.  As she was sharing this, I can sense the hurt in her voice that I half expected that she would break down into tears.  It was good that I didn’t have to follow any dialogues as the grunts of the bad guys as they took in poison darts told me all I needed to know about what’s happening in the movie, so I can still devote two sympathetic ears to the lady preacher.



Then she segued way to how in the time of Noah, God punished mankind for not listening to his warnings.  Now I don’t want to be punished like that, not when Jaguar Paw just took an arrow to his sternum.
I know God will not take it against me for paying attention to a movie that fully displays the fight or flight instincts of man.  So here’s a desperate man fleeing the hell out of his feet and fighting his heart out when cornered.  It is primal survival at its finest.  And it’s not even killing for killing’s sake because he also wants to rescue and protect his young family.

Then the lady preacher began distributing donation envelopes.  I didn’t know why I had to get it when I had no intention of putting something in it, but I did.


She left after collecting all her envelopes.  And soon the movie was also over.  To be followed by the demise of the great Inca and Mayan civilizations as the white people have come to shore, bringing with them the word of God and ravenous rats from the old world -- hosts of the bubonic plague virus that would end the lives of millions of Incas and Mayas.

No comments:

Post a Comment