Wednesday, January 16, 2013

From Michelangelo to furniture, Museum to aroma


Good things come to those who wait.  But better ones come to those willing to scrape the bottom of the box.  I recently came across two books by accident, and they couldn’t come at a better time.

There’s been a Pick a Book stall inside Benitez Hall ever since the second semester started.  It contains a selection of interesting reading materials -- all pre-owned, ranging from novels by authors like Ayn Rand, John Grisham, Alfred Hitchcock and an assortment of others that I either know, barely know, or never heard of (I admit I’m not a big fan of novels, hence my ignorance), art books, crafts books, personal growth books, outdated techie books, illustrated children’s books, poetry books, and magazines such as National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, and Architect’s Digest, etc.  In short, a little bit of everything.

I was thrilled to spy a rack that was marked P20 so I promptly and happily ran my fingers across the titles.  Take away my bus fare going home and a little snack money; I still had some 200 pesos or so of free money.  So I had literally in my hands, or more accurately – in my pocket – 10 books waiting to be bagged.

As I was rummaging through the covers I realized that 10 books were too many to place inside my bag that was already almost stuffed with reading materials, notebooks, folders, my hoodie, water canister, candy wrappers, and a wad of old bus tickets.  There was only room for two, and I was eyeing The Life and Works of Michelangelo and The New York Metropolitan Museum – two hardbound books that would surely be very difficult to find elsewhere and would make me look like an art aficionado.

When I was about to pay for the books, the vendor said that each costed P150.  I’m never good at Math but my mind readily computed that I was way short of the prospective bill.   I calmly returned the books, muttering that I’d be getting them next time.  I won’t.  I had no plans of doing such.

This failed purchase speaks three things about my buying behavior: 1) My impulse buying budget rarely exceeds P100.  2) The amount of money inside my pocket ensures that number 1 stays true most of the time.  3) When I’m intent on splurging P40 then I would, regardless if I’ve been flustered by the darn P150 price tag on Mike’s book, or not.

So I knew I had to recover my pride and show that vendor that I was ready as hell to plunk down P40 on two good, old books.  Mustering all the pride that I could, I meekly asked him where the P20 books were and he pointed me at a sizeable carton box that was conveniently lying on the floor.

Darn.  I was standing when I found Mike.  Now I had to bend my knees to search for God-knows-what.

But like I told you I am a proud man; so I stooped down to the level of the box.  I tried to look like I was enjoying myself as I leafed through titles like The Breakthrough Wonders of Pentium II, Overcoming Impotence, and The Life Cycle of a Snail.

Then I really got excited. 

I found two books that I was willing to pay P150 each. Okay, more like two at P150, if I could haggle it.  I was sure that others would scuffle with me if I showed them that I discovered The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy (published in 1991) and The Build-It-Yourself Furniture Catalog (from 1976), so I discreetly covered the titles with my large hands and whispered to the vendor, “Sir, kukunin ko mga ‘to.”  I proudly handed him a soggy P100 bill, not folded by the way, to assure him that I have the money to cover the purchase, plus three more books if I wanted more.

I did not place the books in my bag as I had planned.  Instead I hand carried them towards a tree facing the Sunken Garden where I initially intended to read my notes on Emerging Adults.  There I opened the furniture book with trembling hands as if I was a recovering alcoholic secretly opening a bottle of Emperador brandy under a tree facing the Sunken Garden.  My eyes were alert, always glancing behind my back.  I was half expecting envious people, who have learned that I found the two most exciting books in the world, to make a violent grab at my loot.

But the more I scanned the pages, the more I was lost in my own world, already imagining the fine wood work that I would be producing with my very own hands.  Some of the pages, I noticed, were literally earmarked by the previous owner.  And as I lovingly straightened out the page corners, I realized that I was touching the hands of a man who loved this book once, and who created wonderful pieces that gave him the same tremendous fulfillment that I will also soon be feeling when I have made mine.

By far, this is the best P40 I have ever spent.




I have always been proud of what I can do with my hands.  I find carpentry very interesting and it has been my goal for some time to make my own furniture pieces.  Before finding the book, I have been honing my carpentry skills making homes for my honeybees, and simple fixtures such as tables and benches.  With the help of this book, I am planning to make my own center table, cabinet and book shelves.

The Aromatherapy book will greatly help me in my experiments with my handmade soap projects.  I’m also planning to create my own body lotion, body wash and other honey-enriched cosmetic recipes.  As I continually skim the book, I am realizing that it will also enhance and even deepen my commitment to healthy living.


No comments:

Post a Comment