Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chicken Joy



"Catch me if chicken"
If there is a domesticated animal that you would suspect running away with food that you left on your picnic table, the cat would probably come to mind first, the dog next, or if you are in an island like Palawan, the monkey would be another likely suspect.

But a chicken?

I was at a local resort doing something for my business when all of a sudden a commotion disturbed the stillness of this warm early afternoon.   A group of resort maintenance crew was trying to corner a fat, noisy but very frisky hen - one of the several free range birds that wander about the place.

I thought to myself, what the heck has gotten into these people, can't a hen have a break in this lazy afternoon without being chased around by deranged humans?



I was rooting for the hen, and it was giving me some measure of satisfaction as she faked one way and went the other, before nimbly beating around the bush when one guy made a swipe at her wings.  When it appeared that she was cornered, she let out a wild cackle then desperately flapped her wings.  Judging by the size of her breast and the girth of its legs it seemed that it was impossible that she could get airborne.  But she flew, some two feet off the ground, covering a distance of  a few meters.

And in this brief moment of flight, the hen was cackling all the way as if saying, "Look world, I can fly. I can fly!"

But no one can break the law of physics that states what comes up must come down, moreso if it's a fat chicken that was not even expected to fly.  Perhaps surprised at what just transpired, the hen landed then went still to be grabbed by the foot by an eager hand.

Though it was already caught, it can't stop cackling as if it was saying, "Did you see that?  Huh? Huh? I flew, didn't I?"

And I saw who it was cackling to.  From behind another bush emerged another man, holding a fat rooster by the leg.  The rooster was very excitable as well, apparently directing its hoarse voice towards the hen, "Yeah, I saw that honey!  I'm so proud of you."

Then they were carried off some place by the men, holding them high like trophies as if they just captured the most notorious criminals on earth, exchanging high fives and reliving what strategies they used to finally land their catch.  Crazy men.

I asked one of the men, who was a while ago part of the hunt, what the fuss was about.  "Aba'y nilantakan nung mga manok yung Jollibee na baon nang mga guests, eh."

I felt sorry for the guests, but I was somewhat happy for the fat chicken.  It flew and I saw it.



I'd love to hear what you think of this post.  Please leave a reaction or a comment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment